What to Do After a Car Accident
Our experienced Dallas lawyers provide step by step instructions
Knowing what to do after a serious car accident caused by another driver in Dallas can be confusing. You have so many different issues to worry about after your crash, including your health and your legal rights.
So what should you do? What are your options? Below, you can find step-by-step advice from experienced Dallas car accident attorneys you can trust – The Marye Law Firm. For more than two decades, we have been fighting for the rights of injury victims throughout Texas. As a result, we have an in-depth understanding of how the legal system actually works. That’s why you need our legal team on your side after your accident. At The Marye Law Firm, we’re serious about winning your case.
Whether you were hurt in a rear-end accident, head-on collision, or another type of crash, there are steps you can take to protect your health and your right to seek compensation.
What should I do after my Dallas car accident?
If another driver caused your collision, we strongly advise you to take the following steps at the scene of your accident:
- Call the police and tell them you have been in an accident caused by another driver.
- Ask the police to respond to your accident.
- Ask the police to send an ambulance to your crash if you or anyone else appears injured.
- If you notice anyone who saw your accident, get their full name and best phone number to reach them. Eyewitness testimony can be a powerful piece of evidence in support of your car accident claim.
- Take photos of your crash site. The more pictures, the better.
- Exchange information with the other driver. This includes your name, phone number, insurance information, and driver’s license number.
- Don’t discuss your accident with the other driver. Anything you say could later be used as evidence by the at-fault driver’s insurance company to deny your injury claim.
- Get the name and phone number of the investigating police officer or state trooper so you can reach the officer later just in case you have any questions.
Several hours or days after your accident, you should also take the following steps if you have not already done so:
- Contact a lawyer as soon as possible to learn more about your legal rights.
- See a doctor. Even if an EMT or another medical professional already examined you at the scene of the accident or soon after, many car accident injuries take several hours or days to develop, including whiplash and concussions.
- Contact the law enforcement agency that investigated your crash (e.g., the Dallas Police or Texas Highway Patrol) and ask them for a copy of your official Texas car accident report. You can also request a copy of your Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report directly from the Texas Department of Transportation. (If you are unable to get a copy of your crash report, we can request a copy for you.)
- Call your insurance company and tell them you’ve been in an accident caused by another driver. Keep your comments brief during your first call. Anything you say could potentially be used as evidence against you, even by your own insurance company, depending on what type of accident you’re dealing with.
- If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, do not talk to them. Even if their questions seem straightforward, they’re often simply looking for anything they can use to reduce or deny your claim.
- If the other driver’s insurance company makes a settlement offer, ask them to send you their offer in writing. That way, you can carefully review the details of their offer with your attorney.
- Do not discuss your case with anyone after your accident. Such comments could jeopardize the outcome of your injury claim.
- Do not post anything on social media about your accident. Insurance companies carefully review such statements in search of anything they can use against injury victims.
Still not sure what to do? When in doubt, contact a lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you have an experienced Dallas car accident lawyer investigating your crash, the better.
Make your case matter. Contact The Marye Law Firm
You may have a lot of questions after your crash. What if it was a hit-and-run accident? What if the driver was uninsured or underinsured? Can I file a lawsuit? We’re ready to meet with you to answer your questions and review your options.
The clock is running after your car accident. And it’s not just the two year deadline from the date of your accident for filing a lawsuit or taking other legal action in Texas. The longer you wait, the harder it often becomes to find the evidence you need in support of your injury claim. Witnesses move away or forget what happened. Debris from your crash site can be destroyed. Traffic camera footage of your accident might be taped over or destroyed.
Give your accident claim the best opportunity for success. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation with a Dallas car accident attorney you can trust. We have the knowledge, the skills, and the drive you need to succeed.
The Marye Law Firm – we’re serious about winning your case.