The change aims to reduce car accidents caused by speeding and reckless driving.
Texas highways often experience conditions that call for reduced speeds. The weather here often includes heavy rain and high winds, making driving difficult. Occasionally, Texans must drive in icy conditions. The traffic jams can often pose inconveniences for drivers in a hurry to get to their destinations.
But do these conditions actually cause collisions on Texas highways? Most collisions involving these factors are the result of speeding. Some are even linked to distracted or reckless driving. With the number of injurious and fatal car accidents in Texas, state officials have taken action to reduce the risk. That includes enacting flexible speed limits throughout the state.
Will flexible speed limits help prevent Texas car accidents?
State officials have passed a new law that allows the Texas Department of Transportation to temporarily change speed limits during hazardous weather conditions and road construction. They can do this when necessary without statewide approval. These flexible speed limits may help reduce highway crashes by alerting drivers to slow down.
Officials can drop the speed limit by only 10 mph from the posted speed limit. Signs will be posted no less than 500 feet and no more than 1,000 feet from the point where the speed limit changes begin. The signs will be permanent in highly congested areas and display digital messages indicating flexible speed limits.
What actions should I take if I was injured in a speed-related crash?
If you've been injured in a car accident on a Texas highway, take these steps to protect your rights and well-being:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health should be your top priority. Even if you don't notice immediate injuries, some conditions might manifest later. A medical evaluation ensures any hidden injuries are detected and documented.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Report the accident to the police and obtain a copy of the accident report. This official document can be valuable when filing an insurance claim or pursuing legal action.
- Gather Evidence: If possible, collect evidence at the scene. Take photographs of the accident, including vehicle damage, road conditions, and any relevant road signs. Obtain contact information from witnesses.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Be cooperative but avoid discussing fault.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Promptly report the accident to your insurance company. Stick to the facts and avoid accepting or placing blame.
- Document Your Injuries: Keep detailed records of your injuries, medical treatment, and related expenses. This documentation will be crucial when seeking compensation.
- Avoid Discussing the Accident: Be cautious about discussing the accident on social media or with anyone other than your attorney or insurance company. Statements made about the crash can sometimes be used against you.
- Follow Medical Advice: Adhere to your healthcare provider's recommendations and attend all medical appointments. This not only ensures your well-being but also strengthens your injury claim.
- Consult an Attorney: Consider seeking legal representation, especially if you've suffered injuries. An experienced car accident lawyer can help protect your rights, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and pursue compensation on your behalf.
Contact a Dallas, TX car accident attorney and get the compensation you deserve
The Marye Law Firm, P.C. in Dallas is here to help you seek justice if you have been injured in a highway car accident. Our experienced attorneys know how to investigate crashes and can gather crucial evidence to help you build a strong case.
Seeking help from our attorneys won't cost you anything upfront. We offer free consultations so you can ask questions about your claim and explore your potential legal options. Plus, we work on a contingency fee basis, so you don't pay unless we win your case.
Let us fight to recover every dollar owed to you in damages. Contact us online to find out how we can help you.